In Connecticut, a person can see a physical therapist without a referral from an MD [except for Medicare and Worker’s Compensation].
- If you hurt your back cleaning the house over the weekend, do you
1. Call your doctor for an appointment?
2. Go to the local hospital Emergency Department?
3. Go to the medicine cabinet to find what medication might work?
4. Call your physical therapist?
Most people are not aware that they can call a Physical Therapist directly to be evaluated and treated. The PT will ask numerous questions and check your mobility [amongst other tests] in a very lengthy evaluation to determine if PT is appropriate or if you do indeed need to see an MD. The PT will be in contact with your Primary Care Physician with the results. Care can continue for 6 visits or 30 days, whichever comes 1st, without a referral. If further PT is suggested, the PT will recommend that you consult your doctor.
The next time YOU injury yourself, consider calling 1 of the PTs at ECRC, who collectively have over 335 years of clinical experience!